PRIVATE INVESTIGATIONS

Uninitiated by external impulses, assuming a state of utter joblessness in a reckless waste of time, to express my labyrinthine psyche.

Name:
Location: Tempe, Arizona, United States

Saturday, June 18, 2005

I love my memory

I am amazed at the functioning of the human brain. The process of evolution has endowed us with a versatile memory sink that has an infinite storage capacity. Incorporating Moore’s law to the Darwin’s theory of evolution, a later version of human brain must take less that a nanosecond to calculate the square of a thirteen digit number. The jargon used is only an indication of my adoration for the human brain.

However it’s functioning, I would say, is rather biased. Ones ability to access the different memory locations in the brain is varied. I can remember every interaction that I have had with a specific person. Probably one night’s effort I can compile all the interactions in a chronological order with the minutest details incorporated. It sometimes scares me when I realize that I even remember, for example, if I look back at my “hostel night”, one of those zillion occasions…I remember the number of servings of Manchuria we had; the order of the songs that was played on my comp; the clips of the movie-“The Wonders” that we watched; the leaf cup in which the starters were refilled; the red top and how it was portrayed to me with that oomph; the gesticulations and the insinuations; the smell of the dress; basically every little thing that happened. For me it acts like a time machine that can teleport me to that day, giving a videographic experience, and I am able to relive every moment of it. I remember every minute of the last football game in my hostel quadrangle; my first night out in IIT; my first driving classes from my dad….

However, there are other things that are forgotten in spite of a conscious effort to retain them and also being repeatedly reminded.

The process of receiving and storing a piece of information, an event or a photograph; it is allocated and is written on different memory locations. However the recovery/ recollection of information is prioritized. It is all treasured in the brain and also can be retrieved anytime. One need not be a fanatic or a monomaniac to be able to do it. All that it takes is the drive and want for it

So can I use the degree of retention and recollection of my interaction with a person or a thing as an index to how much I love or value them in my life?

1 Comments:

Blogger magicfarawaytree said...

I love my memory too!It makes me 'me'!I remember smells and sounds and tastes and things so vividly that sometimes by just remembering something I can smell it (for example, the smell of rain on grainy sand at my old school, or the smell of mixed fruit jam and amul butter on hot toast when it's raining outside)
However I don't think I could say that if I remember something it means I value it more.I remember lots of horrible ghastly incidents in graphic detail too.:(

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home